Acidity is a condition of the body where there is excessive acid accumulation in the Gastro-intestinal tract. It may be due to excessive production of acid in the stomach or due to intake of any other compounds or some other reason.It is very important for the patients to understand How to reduce Hyper acidity.The pH of the stomach is always acidic but when it is further increased beyond normal then it starts hurting the gastric skin. The gastric juice which contains HCL is a highly acidic in nature. Acidity of hyper acidity can be due to following reasons,
- Improper diet habits and starving.
- Stress or frustration
- Due to H.Pylori infection
- High consumption of Tobacco,Coffee,Chocolates and spicy food.
The symptoms of hyper acidity are ,
- Burning sensation in the esophagus(heartburn) and stomach.
- Highly increased appetite
- Ulcers in stomach and duodenum.
- Gastric discomfort and improper digestion.
The treatment for hyper acidity is mainly of the following types,
- Acid neutralizers: Basic compounds such as sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate,calcium carbonate etc can react with the acid and can neutralize them.
- Gastric protective agents: Agents like sucralfate is gel like substance which is stable in acidic pH.It forms a coating on the skin of the stomach and hence prevents it from the contact of acid for prolonged time.
- PPI’s: These drugs like Omeprazole,Pantoprazole etc can block the Proton pump in the stomach which produces the acid. They can powerfully block the acid for 24 hours.
- Anti-Histamines: Anti histamines like Ranitidine and Famotidine are very popular among people. They indirectly block the acid production in the stomach up to 80%.
- Anti biotics: If there is a H.Pylori infection in the stomach, it can lead to hyper acidity. This infection can be treated by anti biotic therapy for 1-2 weeks with drugs like Amoxicillin,Metronidazole,gatifloxacin etc.
These are the general line of treatment for acute or severe conditions of hyper acidity. The lifestyle and food habits are highly essential for maintaining a healthy living.