Anti oxidant therapy is very vital in today’s world where we have to live with lot of challenges and we go through a lot of stress. This certainly affects our body which can be clearly seen when one crosses his 40’s. The aging is stimulated by oxidants which are produced in the body which are capable of binding to various sites in body and can lead to death of the cells. Anti oxidants are chemically those compounds which react with Oxidants which are also known as “Free radicals” and make a complex with them and make them inactive. Since the aging process is very much effected by the free radicals, these anti oxidants can be very useful for maintaining a fresh and healthy body.
The following are the main reasons which can lead to formation of more free radicals,
- When an individual crosses 40’s there are more free radicals like Free Oxygen molecules which are produced during metabolism in the body. These free radicals are highly reactive and they are very harmful to body cells.
- Ingestion of heavy metals or any other harmful chemicals can directly release the free radicals which can cause severe defects in the body.
- Frequent exposure to X rays or UV rays etc for a prolonged period can also contribute to more free radicals in the body.
- Stress is a major factor which leads to improper bio transformation and thus in turn more production of free radicals.
- It has been also found that intake of tobacco and many narcotic drugs can stimulate the formation of oxidants in the body.
The anti oxidant therapy focuses mainly on the following anti oxidants:
- Beta Carotene is found to be a very useful anti oxidant agent. It can be isolated from carrot and many other plant species. Mixed natural carotinoids are good supplement against the oxidants.
- Selenium is a trace element which is found to react with the free oxygen molecules and stabilize the oxidants in the body and it is now widely used for anti oxidant therapy.
- Vitamin E is a very good supplement to fight against the free radicals formed in the body. It has been proved by clinical trials that there is a significant decrease of oxidants in individuals who are taking regular doses of Vitamin E.
- Ginseng is an excellent medicine which is a famous chinese herb. It has been used successfully for this purpose from centuries.
These are some valuable substances which are included in the anti oxidant therapy. Apart from these other natural green vegetables and trace elements like copper and zinc are also found to be very useful.